11.01.2010

Sweet Pea's Chex Mix

I have awesome childhood memories that involve the smell of this chex mix. I am pretty sure that every kid in my family looks forward to Christmastime because that is when my Grandma Sweet Pea and then, over the years, my mom would start making this amazing savory little treat! It is probably a strange tradition for most people but not our family! I look forward to November 1st every year because it is the first day that we can start making Chex Mix! Today - when my kids come home from school our home will be filled with the smells of the season - warm chex mix!

1/2 Large Box Rice Chex
1/2 Large Box Corn Chex
1/2 Box Wheat Chex (they only make the one size box)
1/2 Small Box Cheerios
1 bag of stick pretzels
1 can of mixed nuts
3 cubes butter
3 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. garlic salt
1 T. season salt (Lawry's)

* When I by the ingredients for this the first time in the season I also buy one of the large aluminum roasting pans that they sell in the baking isle. Get the largest one (I think it is meant for a turkey, but I don't know how they are supposed to hold up to a turkey!) and use it all season - and then you can throw it away after Christmas!

Pre-heat Oven to 300*

Put the cereals, pretzels and nuts in a LARGE roasting pan and mix it up.

In a saucepan melt the butter over medium-low heat (don't burn or break the butter)  add in the seasonings and Worcestershire sauce and whisk well. drizzle over the cereal mix stirring the cereals as you are adding to ensure a good even coating.

Bake for 1 hour, but stirring thoroughly every 15 minutes. Pour out onto paper towels to cool