11.25.2010

Gramma Eddie's Dinner Rolls

Okay - first of all my grandmother's parents did not name her Eddie! I did, actually. Her real name was Nellie, but when I was a toddler I was not able to say Nellie - and Eddie came out and it stuck forever and ever. All her grand kids call her Eddie. This is her recipe for rolls and they are the best. I love them so much that I don't ever want anything different. They are practically perfect in every way - just like she was.

1 package yeast
1/4 C. warm water

Soften the yeast in the warm water for 10 minutes.

1 C. milk - scalded
1/4 C. Sugar
1/4 C. Shortening
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
3 1/2 C. flour

During standing time, scald the milk. Add sugar, shortening and salt. Mix well. Cool to lukewarm. Ad 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix well. Add yeast mixture and eggs mixing quickly and thoroughly. Gradually add the rest of the flour until you have a soft dough. Cover and let double. Form into roils and bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Tops may be brushed with butter while still warm. makes 1 1/2 - 2 dozen.

No comments: