11.13.2010

Chicken Enchiladas

What is it about a Saturday night that calls for a different kind of food? When coming up with my menu for the week I always struggle with coming up with a Saturday dinner. For some reason I always want to have pizza or..... well pizza. It is the only thing I ever want to eat on a Saturday night. However, pizza every Saturday night would not be keeping up with my different meal for every night for 1 year gig, so I am branching out this week. I don't know that chicken enchiladas are necessarily a Saturday food but for now they will just have to do. Also, I prefer to keep this recipe lower fat - which is why I steam the corn tortillas rather than flash-fry them, but you are welcome to do either.

4 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 pints low-fat sour cream
2 cans diced green chilies
1 1/2 C. cheddar cheese
36 Corn tortillas

In a large stock pot, boil the chicken breasts until tender and able to be shredded, about 1 hour. Remove from pot and shred.
In a separate bowl combine the cream of chicken soup, sour cream and green chile's. Pour half of the sour cream mixture onto the shredded chicken and combine.
Pour half of the remaining sour cream mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
Steam the tortillas: I moisten each size of the tortilla with a spray bottle filled with water and then put it in a hot, dry skillet for a few seconds on each side or until pliable. I am sure that you can steam them in a rice cooker or maybe even the microwave if you wanted too.
One at a time, put the chicken mixture in the middle of a corn tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down in the baking dish and continue until all the tortillas and chicken is used. Spread the remaining sour cream mixture over the enchiladas and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese and return to the oven for about 10 more minutes or until the cheese is melty and yummy.