11.06.2010

Chicken, Cheese & Rice

We have been eating this dish for as long as I can remember. I am sure my mom made it because it is SO easy to prepare. Plus, it is a people pleaser. My kids all love this, especially the rice! This does take an hour to bake so prepare ahead of time for that.

1 1/2 C. White Rice
1 1/2 C. Cheddar Cheese
3/4 C. Parmesan Cheese (not the powdered stuff, actual real shredded parm!)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fat and yucky parts removed)
3 C. Chicken Broth
1 T. Dried Basil
1 T. Garlic Salt
Salt & Pepper

Pre-heat oven to 350*

In a 9x13 pan, layer ingredients in the order above. Bake for 1 hour or until all liquid is absorbed from rice.

* The only ingredients that need to be exact is the rice & broth. Everything else can be eyeballed. Sometimes I don't have Parmesan cheese, so it doesn't get added - and it is just as delicious.
**A little hint: When adding in the basil, garlic salt & salt and pepper: Sprinkle it in the rice areas, not directly on the chicken. As the liquid absorbed the chicken will end up with the perfect amount of seasonings. If you sprinkle it all on the chicken in the beginning the chicken will be encrusted with the seasonings and it isn't as delicious as it sounds.

Update: 11/7/10  3:57pm
I just got off the phone with my mother who informed me that there is a better way of cooking this meal!  So I will be trying this method out in the next couple of days and then I will post the new and improved (if it is improved) recipe!